All You Need to Know About PlayStation 4 Streaming on TwitchIf you belong to those streamers who prefer games on console, you may have many questions about how to effectively stream the gameplay on Twitch. So, our useful tips are tailored for you:
Is It Worth Streaming Off PS4?PROs of PS4 streaming:
- Huge viewerbase. Consoles have a built-in base of viewers that makes it much easier to get target audience.
- Easy setup. PlayStation camera is very easy to set up, but for that reason PS4 streamers are not considered “hardcore streamers” by the gaming community.
- All Twitch features available. You can watch, follow and interact with any broadcaster or game on Twitch. Your fans will be able to watch your live PS4 streaming from any Twitch device or with the help of special app Live On PlayStation.
- Chat available. You can read Twitch chat while PS4 streaming on the same screen in real-time.
- Non-dedicated followers. Yes, you will easily find your audience when streaming from console, but there are a few chances that they will go to see your Twitch page or follow you, if you decide to switch to PC games.
- The limited amount of games to watch. If you want to watch other streamers’ gameplay with the help of app On Live from PlayStation, you may only watch those streams that come from PS4. So, you can’t watch Dota or League of Legends streams.
- Limited functionality. For instance, it is impossible to do screen follower popups, donations, easily listen to music (the PS4 blocks using music apps while streaming for copyright reasons). From PS4, you can only stream 720p and in 30fps. You can't place templates over your stream as you can on PC.
- Chat difficulties. You can only see around 4 chats, if playing from console. It is not a big issue for small channels, but if your chat is big and active, it will be hard to communicate effectively. You will need a laptop next to you to keep up with a chat. One more thing about chat: expect that all written things (even unpleasant ones, such as racist comments) will stay on PS screen for a while, as what you delete in Twitch chat is not automatically deleted on PS4.
How To Start PlayStation 4 Streaming on TwitchPS4 fans can stream their gameplay to Twitch by simply linking their PS4 with a Twitch account and pressing the “Share” button. This allows streaming video almost instantly. It is also possible to activate the PS4 mic and provide voice-over comments, make comments visible and send automatic links to Twitter or Facebook. The step-by-step instruction on how to start streaming from PS4 on Twitch looks like this:
- Start playing the game you’ve chosen
- Click the “Share” button and then “Broadcast Gameplay”
- Choose the service you want to stream to (Twitch or UStream)
- Link your PS4 to the Twitch or UStream accounts
- Give your broadcast a title, choose needed streaming options
- Click on “Start Broadcasting”
- To see the comments on PS4 screen, just scroll the display
- To end streaming, press the "Share" button
How to Choose the Game for My Stream?Choosing the game for your streams is a tricky task. On one hand, streaming unpopular games is a direct way to nowhere. On the other hand, playing the most popular games makes you compete with experienced and already popular players. Try to choose something in between. If you are one of PlayStation4 streamers, we would recommend you starting off with a newly released game. It could be easier to get some exposure. You can also think about streaming PS4 exclusive games when they are released for the first time. Before starting your broadcast, double check that the chosen game is valid for Twitch. Sometimes, the PS4 games have ™ or ® signs in the name. Such games won’t show up in the corresponding game directory on Twitch (hence this is forbidden by the TOS). And viewers who are searching for PS4 streamers playing that game won’t be able to find you. To check if your stream is displayed, view the stream from a phone or web browser. On your Twitch Dashboard you can remove these symbols to make sure your PS4 streams are easily visible on Twitch.
Other Useful Tips and Tricks for PS4 Streamers
- PlayStation Camera
- Using a PC or Laptop as a Part of Your Setup
- Choosing a Top Notch Gaming Headset
- Use the Help of Chatbots
- Check Your Connection
- Interact and Watch Other PS4 Streamers
- Utilize USB Sound Mixer for Better Music Experience
- Make Social Media Work for You
TakeawayAll in all, you don’t need a PC anymore to have a good stream. Though PS4 streaming has some functional limitations, there are more than enough features available. You can place messages at the bottom of your screen, adjust camera’s settings, use green or blue screen to cut out your camera feed, voice commands, etc. Moreover, people can find you in On Live from PlayStation app, which means more potential viewers.